Homeowners no longer have to use fire to heat their homes because there are better ways to do it now. But that doesn’t mean that a fireplace fire isn’t a great way to warm up on a cold night.
Be careful, though, that in your desire for a warm, roaring fire, you don’t throw things into the fireplace that could hurt you or your home.
Take a look below to see what you should never put in your fireplace and why.
1. Treated or Coated Wood
Toxic chemicals can get into the air you breathe when you burn coated or pressure-treated wood. For example, wood that was treated to resist rot or insects used to have a type of arsenic in it. Wood that has been painted, stained, or varnished also has other chemicals in it, and when these chemicals are burned, they give off toxic fumes. Also, don’t use plywood because the glues used to make it give off toxic fumes when burned.