Wondering what you are going to do with all those ripe tomatoes in your garden?
Here’s the simple answer: Tomato soup.
To make the finest tomato soup you’ve ever tasted with fresh tomatoes, follow this simple recipe.
THE BEST HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP RECIPE:
Into a big pot, put:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- pinch of salt
Cook over medium heat until things start to sizzle, then cover and turn the heat down to low until the onions are soft. Mix them up every so often. You don’t want them to get too brown. If that starts to happen, you can add a little water to the pot, but the steam and condensation will probably make enough moisture to keep them from browning.
While the onions are cooking, get:
- 2 lbs tomatoes (about 10 med tomatoes)
- 2-3 sliced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp uncooked white rice (to make your soup thicker)
- big pinch of salt
- a spring of fresh thyme or basil
- 1 tsp garam masala (Optional)
While your onions are still cooking:
- Wash your tomatoes and cut out the core. You can make four clean cuts through the tomato close to the center.
- When your onions are nice and soft, cut your garlic into slices and add it to the pot. Cook for two more minutes.
- Now, add the tomatoes, salt, rice, bay leaf, and fresh herbs to the pot with the onions.
As we mentioned before, the rice is what makes this soup thick. It works well, and it keeps the fat and calorie count a little lower.
- Cook everything over medium heat, stirring every so often, until the tomatoes are soft and easy to break apart.
- Now, add: 1 cup water, 1 more tbsp butter, and another pinch of salt
- Cook for a few more minutes to make sure the rice is soft and the butter melts.
- Turn off the heat and take the bay leaf and herbs out of the soup.
- Puree it to your taste.
Note: If you like your soup smooth, just blend it longer. Then, pour it through a sieve to get rid of any seeds.
And that’s it. Your soup is done and ready!