HomePlants20 Poisonous Plants and Flowers you should be careful of

20 Poisonous Plants and Flowers you should be careful of

There are some flowers and plants that amaze us with their beauty and charm. However, they may be poisonous plants and flowers. Plants and flowers are not always peaceful and harmless. There some species that can put our lives and our pets’ lives in danger.

Poisonous plants and flower are harmful. Sometimes touching them is enough to be intoxicated. Many gardeners tend to grow decorative plants and flowers without knowing that they are poisonous which may jeopardize them to danger.

Moreover, some of the most common houseplants and garden plants are poisonous. They cause health problems and in many cause they threaten lives. In order to keep you safe, you should know which plants and flowers are poisonous in order to avoid them or at least to take the necessary measures. You will find them on the list below.

1. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy is a widespread toxic plant that grows in yards. Poison Ivy is an intrusive plant that grows without any alarm. It is both toxic for humans and animals. If you have a garden in your yard, you should always check it out for poison ivy especially when you have kids.

2. Poison Sumac

Poison Sumac

This is another common intrusive plant that grows into woody shrubs. Its leaves contain a toxic substance called urushiol. You could recognize poison sumac from its leaves. They contain black or dark brown spots. In autumn, Poison sumac’s leaves become red, yellow and pinkish.

3. English Ivy

English Ivy

English Ivy is an extremely beautiful plant used for decoration. In fact, it is one of the most popular ornamental houseplants. Nonetheless, this stunning plant that many gardeners use to adorn their places is highly toxic if eaten. Therefore, it is advisable that you keep your pets and kids away from it.

Since it is an extremely beautiful decoration, it is best to use English Ivy in hanging baskets. In this way, it is safer and frankly, it is a more decorative idea. If you want to learn more about plants to use in hanging baskets, check out this article. 

4. Heartleaf Philodendron

Heartleaf Philodendron

Heartleaf Philodendron is known to be one of the most low-maintenance indoor plants. It is a sturdy plant that does not require consistent care and observation which makes it highly wanted for indoor decoration. In fact, this plant is one of the most used plants for embellishment. It is beautiful and it has unique leaves that make it remarkable.

However, this beauty is also a highly toxic plant for kids and animals. Thus, you should always keep it in a high place away from your pets and children.

5. Dieffenbachia Ammonia

Dieffenbachia Amonena

It is commonly known as the dumb cane. This dazzling plant is also poisonous for both humans and animals. It has formidable effects on health if eaten. Since it is a beautiful ornamental plant that people widely use, you should not allow your kids and animals to be around it.

6. Mistletoe


Mistletoe is a famous holiday decoration. During holidays this plant can basically be found hanging on almost every door. But, not so many people are aware of the fact that this plant contains hazardous viscotoxins which is a very dangerous toxin. Make sure that you hang your Mistletoe high enough so kids don’t touch it.

7. Euonymus Fortunei

Image result for Euonymus Fortunei in container


Euonymus Fortunei is also known as the silver queen. It is an extremely toxic ground plant which makes it more dangerous. Be careful of this plants as one bite of it will cause vomiting, diarrhea, coma, and convulsions.

8. Aloe


Aloe is a well known decorative plant. It is famous for its beautiful spiking leaves. Aloe is widely used to adorn indoors. It is an eye-catching decorative tool. However, you should also keep in mind that Aloe is a toxic plant. Once eaten, this splendid decor will cause digestive distress.

9. Lily of the Valley

Lily of the Valley

Lillies are very popular and lily of the valley is one of the most popular members of the family. It largely used to decorate houses and offices. It is a delicate plant with a pleasant view. Yet, each part of this plant is highly toxic and could lead to drastic results. Do not let anyone ingest it.

10. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed

This is the most dangerous and the most poisonous plant. Giant Hogweed, scientifically called Heracleum mantegazzianum, is an invasive plant that grows in gardens. It could be recognized by the eye as it is a very tall plan that could reach 14 feet in height.

You should avoid any contact with this plants as it causes severe health problems such as severe skin and eye irritation and even blindness.

11. Hydrangea


This beautiful flower is used for both indoor and outdoor decoration. It is an extremely ornamental flower that comes in unique eye-grabbing colors. However, this flower is toxic, it contains cyanide. It does not represent a threat to humans unless it is eaten heavily which may cause vomiting and diarrhea. When it comes to animals, it is better for their safety to keep them away from it.

12. Clematis


This alluring decorative flower contains anemonin (irritant glycoside) which makes it toxic for both human and animals. If ingested it would cause dermatitis, burning sensation and ulcer in the mouth for humans and nausea and drool for animals.

Because of its bitterness, animals stay away from it. If you are growing Clematis for decorative purposes, keep it away from your children and don’t touch it yourself unless you put on gloves.

13. Oleander


Oleander is undoubtedly one of the most popular flowers. This flower has it all, beauty, charm, pleasant smelling, and even toxin.  Oleander is a widespread ornamental flower. It is a loved and wanted embellishment. When adorning your garden or indoor with this pretty flower you should be careful.

Eating any part of Oleander is extremely dangerous as all its parts are poisonous. In fact, this admirable flower may cause dehydration, fever, slow heartbeat, tremors and death are also possible.

14. Azalea

14. Azalea

Azalea is a colorful flower that is loved for adding joy and a cheerful atmosphere for gardens. It is a wanted extra addition of beauty. It is pleasant to look at in any garden. This alluring flower is highly toxic to animals and not humans. If eaten, it will cause nausea, abdominal pain, and difficulty in breathing.

15. Narcissus


Narcissus is also known as Daffodil, it is a well-known flower for its golden bright color. It is not toxic for humans but rather for animals. It contains a toxin in its bulbs. If eaten by a dog or a cat, it will lead to vomiting, diarrhea, squeeze cases, tremors and heart rhythm disorders.

16. Lantana


This is an extremely colorful flower that comes in shades of white, yellow, pink, red, violet or orange. Although it is considered weed in many countries, in others it is planted because of its different multi-colors and the pleasant smell it releases.

This plant is dangerous for both humans and animals. It contains a nasty toxin called liver toxin. This toxin may cause depression, vomiting, fatigue, and liver failure.

17. Foxglove


Foxglove is a common flower that is used for decoration and medicine. In fact, this plant contains digitalis glycoside, digitoxin, and deslanoside which are used for heart medicines. However, ingesting this flower directly will cause a headache, a stomach pain, and fainting.

18. Wisteria


Wisteria does not need a definition It is definitely one of the most beautiful and elegant flowers on the earth. Planting wisteria will make any garden alluring and pleasant to look at. It adds beauty and charm to any greens. This alluring flower is, unfortunately, a poisonous flower but only for animals.

Eating the seed of wisteria, even a few seeds will result in abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and depression of the central nervous system. Mildly, it had drastic effects on animals.

19. Catharanthus rosea

Catharanthus rosea

This flower is commonly known as Periwinkle and Vinca rosea. It is mainly used as a ground cover. It is a widespread ground cover because it is easy to grow and to maintain. Periwinkle is also used in medicine to lower and regulate blood pressure. However, excessive use of this flower may result in a drop in blood pressure and hypotension.

20. Calla Lily

Calla Lily

This is a unique cut flower. Calla Lily contains calcium oxalate crystals and thus all parts of this flower are poisonous if eaten raw. However, cooking it is healthy. If you want to avoid swelling of lips, tongue, and throat, cook Calla lily before you it.

These are the most common dangerous plants and flowers. There are a lot of other poisonous flowers and plants that perhaps are more dangerous than the ones listed in this article, we have we chose these particular ones because they are the most common and can be widely found in our gardens or houses.

If you are growing one of these plants, you should be careful in dealing with them because we don’t want you to get infected with their toxin. However, if you ever get intoxicated by a poisonous plant or flower, you need to wash your body immediately with soap and head the nearest hospital instantly.

Enjoy your gardening and be careful of these beauties.


More articles

Most Popular

Recent Posts